Saturday 15 March 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, let it... I'm so sick of snow!


So here we are. It's March 15, the beginning of the spring season for most in North America. A time when we start to see the grass again, the birds start coming back, the ice is melting off of the lakes and the streams are opening up. Last Saturday I was fly-fishing for Pike on a warm spring day with some snow remaining on the ground but looking dirty, old and beaten up. You could tell it wasn't going to last long as spring was coming out of the corner with it's fists just a swingin'. And then today, exactly one week later; I wake up to this.











It seems that winter has pulled the old Rocky Balboa move. Just when you think he's done, he draws this strength from some supernatural place and starts giving powerful body shots to the ribs followed by a stunning uppercut.

I had these great plans for Sunday. It involved Wabamun, some monster Pike and either a boat, pontoon or float tube. That decision was to be made today. Ya, I heard about the forecast for snow but can you really believe these weathermen (or weatherwomen). And from previous experience, I've found that if you keep your plans 'til the last minute before pulling the plug, sometimes it pays off. Sometimes, but not this time.

You know, when I was a kid I absolutely loved winter. There was a time when I loved it more then summer. Hockey was the biggest reason but there was also snowball fights, building forts and ice slides, sledding, both cross country and downhill skiing and of course you can't forget; Christmas. That special time of year when magic is for real and dreams really do come true.

Now that I'm older however, I detest winter. The cold, the snow, the shoveling, the heating bills, the power bills, the starting your car 15 minutes before you leave for work and of course; Christmas. That special time of year that you need to get a 2nd mortgage on the house just so everyone you know has a present under their tree. Do I sound like a Scrooge? Sorry, it's just this dam SNOW! I know what you're thinking. Doc, you live in North-central Alberta, Canada and have for over 30 years. You'd think you'd be used to it by now. And your right, I should be. But you know when bad things happen to people and they sweep those unhappy memories under the carpets of their mind, pretending it never happened? I think i do that with winter and purposely yet unconsciously forget we still get snow storms as late as May. Actually, now that I think of it, I remember getting snow in August one year. Dam! I think I'm having a psychological breakthrough. But I don't want one... I JUST WANT SPRING!

Sooo. How's your day going?

No comments: