Wednesday 13 February 2008

Northern Lights Fly Tyers & Fishers

For those of you who have not heard of this club, it's a popular fly tiers and fly fishers club here in Edmonton. Not really sure how many members are in the club but you can usually count on seeing 20 - 40 members every meeting (more when a special guest is presenting). The meetings take place every Wednesday night from Sept thru April. In the warmer months they get together informally as a club to fish or meet and tie flies. But it's in the winter when all the fun stuff happens. Some tie flies, some just hang out and chat and some take in the the nightly presenter. Usually you'll have someone presenting a couple fly patterns, rod building techniques, fixing your casting stroke, or whatever. I don't attend many of these meeting but when I do I usually have a good time talking with like minded fly anglers. I went to my first meeting of 2008 tonight. The presenter was showing us products to keep you safe while out in the wilderness (bear spray, hydration packs, self inflating pfd's, etc...), the information was useful and the presenter was well spoken. The main reason I went to the meeting tonight however was to give the club a $50 gift certificate I picked up from Lux Steakhouse & Bar because it's time once again for the annual NFLT&F / TUC silent auction and fundraiser. Every year the club in conjunction with TU Edmonton put on a fundraiser to raise money to support different events, needed electronics, tools, and whatnot. This years auction takes place on Saturday February 23rd at Bo'diddley's Roadhouse. Tickets are available in advance or at the door. Your $12.50 admission includes a steak dinner and some of this years proceeds are going to Casting For Life. Hope you can make it down and if you do, come on over to my table and sit down and chat with me and my wife.

No comments: