Saturday 29 March 2008

Movin' On Up

Wow, it's almost been a week since my last post. Time is flying for this cat. I've been training a co-worker to take over my job at Wild Game Consultants as I just agreed to a job promotion into management. I've been away from a high stress position since I sold my shares in Santannas and the need to move up and take on more responsibility has been gnawing at me. I've put my paramedic aspirations on hold for now as there is so much room for growth with this company I just couldn't say no. What I'm not sure about at this time however is whether I'll now have the time for my small guiding business. As it sits right now, I'm still planning on teaching and guiding for this summer but I'm only offering trips on the weekends.

Saw this video and thought I'd share it with you. It could have turned out so much worse but luckily it didn't. You know, sometimes I don't wear glasses because I don't like the 'raccoon eyes' look but this is just another example of how important eye wear is while fly-fishing.


3 comments:

Author said...

Hi Mike,

Just, by accident, found your blog, nice work. I envie people who can be into fishing like you, because I dont have the personality to stand hour and hours and just waiting. Please do not tell me that its your house who is featured in your blog-title :-)

Love your play list, especially Doobie Brothers.

Hans

Mike (Doc) Monteith said...

Hey Hans, thanks for stopping by. As with anything, if it's important enough to you, it's worth waiting for. And getting a trout or a pike on the end of your line, fighting him and reeling him in is definitely worth the wait. Of course there are good days when the wait between hook ups is minimal but there are bad days as well when it seems nothing you do pays off. As far as the log house, no I wish it was mine. That's my retirement plan though, sell my house and build a log one on a trout lake somewhere, maybe interior BC. Got the wife's stamp of approval on that too, just waiting for the future now.

Cheers,
Doc

James Mann said...

Oh man, that was really too close to the eye. That is why it's a good thing to where a hat and glasses.

I had to take my wife to the emergency room but she had the lure stuck in her head. I tried to take it out but the closer I got to touching the lure the more my hands started shaking.

If it was one of my fishing buddies I could have done it in an instant but not to my wife.

The doctor did exactly what I would have done but he didn't shake a bit.

BTW: My wife won't go fishing with me any more.

Another time a friend hooked me right in the neck. I couldn't get it out so I cut the line and left it in until we got back to the car. He could look at me for the rest of of fishing time. Ha.

And fishing salmon in Atlantic Canada the wind wrapped the fly line around my neck and put the fly right through my ear lobe. Again I just cut the line and kept on fishing.

My son laughed til he almost fell down and thought I should keep the piercing.

So no more fishing for you guys unless you have a hat and glasses.